Wednesday, August 8, 2018

DIY Montessori-Inspired Activities for a Two Year-Old

Note: I got most of these thoughts either from Pinterest, or from the book Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child by Maja Pitamic (one of my all time favourite Montessori books, and one I highly recommend if you’re interested in Montessori Thornhill Chilcare). And bonus: all of these tasks are incredibly low-cost, or even free — they generally use things you already have at home. I don’t have the funds to invest in Montessori  stuff that are fancy, so I do my best with what I 've. Acquiring the Senses

Colour-Fitting Wheel

I cut the circle out of a couple sheets of stiff paper pasted together (file folders, in the event you would like to understand), split it into 8 wedges, and then painted the wedges and clothespins to coincide.

Transferring with a Baster

It took a while for her to understand the importance of dipping the tip into the water, squeezing, and lifting the tip before squeezing into the next bowl.

Sequencing/Duplicate 2D Shapes (Circles)

She managed to catch on fairly quickly. For some reason she couldn’t get it whatsoever, although I tried the same action with squares and triangles. I’ll try again in a couple of months.

Threading Wooden Beads onto Embroidery Thread

Since thread is a lot catchier for threading than pipe cleaners, you’ll desire plastic embroidery needles for this action (I got mine from Hobby Lobby; you might also get them here). Again, tie a bead onto the other end to maintain the beads from falling off.

Sorting Buttons with Muffin Tins


Sewing on an Embroidery Hoop

First, I place some shelf liner (purchased cheap at the dollar store) in an embroidery hoop. Then I strung a plastic needle with embroidery thread and tied a pony bead to the end. I presented how you push the needle up from the bottom, pull through it, and shove it down from the top.

Cutting with Scissors

I comprehend she’s not utilizing the appropriate technique here, but the sense of achievement she gets out of it along with the attention are worth it.

Transferring with a Dropper

Lydia had to make use of the skills she learned with the baster (previously) to master this task.

Numeracy - Number Sticks

Amount rods are an amazing, simple-to-make tool for introducing your toddler to numerals and quantity

Threading Pony Beads onto Pipe Cleaners

Simply because they stay stiff and then hold onto the beads to keep them from slipping, pipe cleaners are perfect for little hands. (I sung their praises here).


No comments:

Post a Comment